ads

Chapter 9 Suspicion




    After hunting monsters, I visited the adventurer's guild.


 I've been hunting to some extent, so I thought I'd liquidate it once.


 Talk to the catkin sister at the reception.




"Um. I want to liquidate because I subjugated a monster."


“Sure, uh…! You are…!”


"eh?"




 She was the person who took care of me when I first came here.


 For some reason, she stares at me with a surprised expression.




"Is there something wrong with me...?"


"... Oh, n-no... It's just... I'm relieved that you returned safely, that's all."


"huh?"


"eh, no-nothing, nya! Eh, um. Is it liquidation for monster subjugation nya?"


"Yes"




 It's seems like she mumbled something that bothered me just now...




"So, where are the subdued monsters nya?"


"Ah. I'm putting it away in my inventory now. There were so many that I couldn't carry it all."


"What do you mean nya?"


"I'll take it out now."




 The explanation was troublesome, so I decided to take out only one hunter wolf corpse.




"Let's see... There we go."


“!! Y-You have... a storage skill?"


"Well, well, something like that."




 Let's just go with that.




"B-but anyway, congratulations on defeating those monsters... It's amazing that you took down Hunter Wolf, which usually require at least level 10 players to defeat."


"Huh? I don't think I need that level to defeat them..."


"B-but...I heard that you can't defeat them solo without reaching that level nya..."




 Hmm? something''s off.


 Hunter Wolf might feel like a formidable opponent for a beginner, but if you can see his movements well, even a level 5 player can beat it.


 I don't think I'm that strong.




"It's amazing that you worked so hard to defeat it, but please don't be reckless nya. Life is precious nya. I understand your desire to earn even a little bit, but it's pointless if you lose your life nya! Next time you should beat a safe monsters like a slime nya!"


"I-I understand..."




 Why am I being lectured...?


 It seems she's genuinely worried about me.




"But it's amazing just to have returned safely nya. Even if it's just one, it's proof of a splendid subjugation nya. I'll make an assessment, so please wait a little bit nya."


"Ah, no. there's still more though."


"Eh!? there are more nya?  You defeated two nya!?




 Isn't she too overreacting?


 I'm a top player.




"No, umm, actually I defeated more than that..."


“!?T-that's.. That's impossible nya. B-by the way how many monsters did you defeated nya....?"


"Umm... I believe... 32."


“!?!? 32!?Are you serious nyaaaaaa!?"


"Yes...."




 I could do more if I wanted to, but since I've mostly hunted all the monsters around this area, so I decided to stop at a round number.


 Thanks to that, my level went up. I'm on level 3 now.




"Um... that's... uh, please wait a minute nya!"




 She panicked and withdrew inside.


 What the hell is going on?




 After waiting for a while, she showed up from the back.




"I-I'm very sorry, but... I want you to come with me, nya."


"Huh? W-why?"


"Well... there is someone who wants to meet, so please wait in the waiting room nya."


"U-understood."




 Who want to meet me? I wonder who it could be?


 Shall we go along for the time being? I'll find out soon enough.




 I followed the receptionist onee-san, I was guided to a certain room.


 When I entered the room, a simple chair and desk were prepared.




"I-I'll call it, so please wait for a while nya..."




 She left the room immediately.


 Alright. I wonder who will come out


 I absolutely have no idea.


 My acquaintances in this world are limited.


 Oh well that's fine. Let's wait and see.




 About three minutes later, an old man opened the door and appeared.




"Hmm, So you are the one..."


"huh?"




 He's an old man in his fifties.


 When the old man entered the room, he sat facing him.


 After sitting down, he folded his arms and started staring at me.




"Um. Why did you call me?"


“…………Fumu. I have one question, where did you come from?”


"Um... from the orphanage."


"Hmmm……"




 By the way, who is this old man?


 I don't remember anything at all.




“I am the branch manager of this Adventurer’s Guild. You can think of me as having the most authority within this building."


「……!」




 Wow. Suddenly the branch manager came.


 I'm even more curious now about why I was called here.




"I heard about you from Reimi."


"Reimi?"


"I'm talking about that catkin who guided you."




 Ah. Are you talking about that onee-san earlier?


 Her name was Reimi.




"So what do you want from me?"


"... I don't think you can beat it."


"? What are you talking about?"


"Let's get straight to the point. Where did you pick up the Hunter Wolf that you said you defeated?"


"Huh?"




 picked up?


 What is this person saying?


 Well, there are times when you say that you "pick up" the items that are dropped by defeating monsters, but... in this case, it would be different.




"No, no. I didn't pick up anything! I defeated them all!"


"Don't lie. There's no way a level 1 kid who just got out of an orphanage can suddenly defeat a hunter wolf."


"Eh..."


"If it's just one, it's fine, but he defeated 32? Do you really expect anyone to believe such a ridiculous story?"




 Hey hey. Is this person suspicious of me?




"You idiots, it's the truth! I really defeated them all!"


"Sometimes there are people who steal prey from people and pretend it's theirs."


"That's why! I didn't do that!"


“As a guild, we have to evaluate it fairly. We can't let rank fraud run rampant, unjustly raising ranks."




 He's evaluating it wrong right now, and yet he's saying all this.




"Even if you really picked it up, there's no way 32 of them are on the ground! What kind of situation is that!?"


"It took you years of steadily picking them up. You've worked hard, huh."


"That's why! You're wrong! I defeated them all!"


"It seems that you have a rare skill, but I won't give you preferential treatment. Don't get carried away."




 No... This isn't working... He's wont listen at all...




"Then I'll show you how to actually fight! Then you'll be convinced, right?"


“Hmph.


「…………」




 Ah, my head is starting to hurt...


 I feel like it's useless to explain any further.


 This old man's head is too hard.




“Don’t do it again if you learn from this, okay?


"That's why it's different..."


“Hmph. I won't fall for that. If you fake an accident and get killed, it will be a huge problem."


"..."



 Ah, my head is starting to hurt...


 I feel like it's useless to explain any further.


 This guy is too stubborn.




“Don’t do it again if you learn from this, okay?


"I'm telling you, that's not it..."


“Hmph. I'll at least acknowledge your enthusiasm. Direct that energy toward battling monsters. That's all."




 Saying this he left the room.


 As if to replace him, onee-san――Reimi came in.




"Um... well... I'll appraise 32 animals, so I'd like you to bring out the hunter wolf, nya..."


"Eh...? Will you appraise it?"


“Yes. There is no change in the fact that we brought monsters, so we decided to make it special nya..."




 special... I see...




"Then... please."


"Yes. I'll guide you, so please follow me nya...




Well, I guess if they're willing to appraise it, that's fine.




 Reimi was surprised several times when I brought out 32 corpses .


 As expected, it seems it takes times with this much.




 After waiting for a while, I was called by Reimi.




“Um, the appraised is over nya.”


"So. How much will it worth?"


“This is it, nya. It can be said that it is quite excellent to get this amount of money with F rank nya.”




 She handed me a tray with coins on it.


 A large copper coin 6 was on top of it.




 For your reference, coins are as follows:




 10 small copper coins = 1 medium copper coin


 10 medium copper coins = 1 large copper coin


 10 large copper coins = 1 silver coin


 10 silver coins = 1 gold coin




 It feels like you can have a satisfying meal with just one medium copper coin. Considering that, I think this amount is quite a reward.




 I was given a troublesome fate, but I got a reward, so for the time being, I wonder if this is okay.





If you like my work please support me Ko-fi



Prev    TOC    Next

Comments

ads